Dovi emerges on top in Crutchlow podium battle

Wednesday, October 03, 2012
Andrea Dovizioso denied his Tech 3 Yamaha team-mate Cal Crutchlow a rostrum finish after outfighting the British rider to snatch third at Aragon. The warring pair were separated by less than two tenths of a second for much of the duration of the 23-lap MotoGP race and found themselves in a podium battle with Ben Spies on the factory Yamaha after Stefan Bradl's early crash. Both Tech 3 riders eventually edged ahead of Spies to set up a thrilling finale, but despite a spirited attack from Crutchlow, the Italian rider had his measure. Crutchlow briefly seized the position from Dovi on the final two laps, but on each occasion the more experienced Ducati-bound star launched an instant counter-attack and held on for his first rostrum finish since Indianapolis and his sixth of the campaign.

“It was a very good race and I am very happy to be back on the podium. It has been a difficult weekend with the weather but the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team did a fantastic job and the bike was very strong in the race,” said Dovizioso.

“It was a very strategic race for me because right from the start I was quite slow in a few corners so I had to work very hard to stay in front of Ben and Cal.

“I knew Cal would be pushing very hard at the end of the race because a few times we have battled together like this and I have beaten him, so I knew he would not be giving up without a fight.”

Prepared for a last-ditch challenge from Crutchlow, Dovizioso used his 'better exit speed' to hit back at his team-mate on the last two laps of the race.

“He tried in the same place on the last two laps but at that point he couldn't stop the bike and I had a better exit speed to immediately take the third position back,” Dovizioso explained.

“And I know I am very strong on the brakes, so going to the last corner I was confident I could keep him behind me.

“It is great to be back on the podium, so I want to say a big thanks to my crew for doing such a wonderful job again.”

Powered by Blogger.