Nicky Hayden escapes serious injury in Aragon scare

Wednesday, October 03, 2012
Nicky Hayden has escaped serious injury during a dramatic accident in Sunday's Aragon MotoGP.
The factory Ducati star speared off-track through the fast final turn at the end of lap two. Unable to slow down in the run-off area, the American then slammed into an advertising board.

The force of the impact launched Hayden over the top of the tyre barrier and onto an access road.

Hayden was initially transported to the circuit medical centre and then to the Hospital de Alcañiz for precautionary checks.

The #69, who suffered a concussion and fractured hand at Indianapolis, has now been released and plans to compete in the forthcoming Japanese Grand Prix from October 12-14.

“I was trying to keep the group in front of me in sight, but I pushed the front in the last turn,” Hayden explained. “I was able to pick it up, but I came up on that wall really fast.

“I thought I might hit it headfirst if I jumped off, so I let go right before impact. I'm sorry to tear up the bike, but I'm thankful for great safety equipment and to be okay.”

Team-mate Valentino Rossi, who ran off-track on the opening lap, recovered to finish eighth.

"Obviously, we could have done without the two off-track excursions, but fortunately for Nicky the worse outcome was a bad scare for us all," said team manager Vittoriano Guareschi.

Powered by Blogger.