Stoner excited return to Motegi MotoGP

Tuesday, October 09, 2012
Casey Stoner will return from injury at this weekend's Japanese MotoGP, the first of four races before his retirement from the sport.

The reigning double world champion sustained ankle fractures in qualifying for the Indianapolis Grand Prix, then rode to fourth on race day, before being informed that he needed surgery.

After sitting out the last three rounds, his place at two events taken by Jonathan Rea, the Australian is now looking forward to getting back on his RC213V in Honda's home event.

“It's going to be great to see all my team and get back on my bike in Motegi this weekend,” said Stoner.

“The last six weeks have been pretty tough for me, I've had to sit around and rest my ankle, get some physio and try to occupy my time - thankfully I've had Ally [daughter] around to keep me occupied.”

Stoner, who has won four races this year, is now mathematically out of the 2012 title fight, which will be decided between Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo and Stoner's team-mate Dani Pedrosa.

Lorenzo starts the last four events with a sizeable 33-point advantage over Pedrosa, who suffered a DNF at Misano then won his fourth race of the season last time at Aragon.

“I've been watching the races at home, I felt bad for Dani in Misano, but these things can happen - as they did for Jorge in Assen,” said Stoner.

Stoner finished third in last year's Japanese Grand Prix, behind Pedrosa and Lorenzo, but won at the track for Ducati in 2010.

“The Motegi circuit is very stop-start with a lot of hard braking and accelerating, it's pretty tough on the body and physically quite demanding,” said Stoner.

“The first session on Friday will be crucial to see how my ankle feels in the boot and the degree of movement I have and pressure I can apply".

Powered by Blogger.