MotoGP Phillip Island Results 2012

Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Repsol Honda’s Casey Stoner took a commanding victory at Phillip Island, outpacing Jorge Lorenzo by over nine seconds at the checkers. Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Cal Crutchlow earned his second podium of the year in third. Lorenzo clinched the 2012 championship title with his finish after Stoner’s teammate, Dani Pedrosa, crashed out of competition in the opening laps while running in first.

Lorenzo and Pedrosa came out fast off the start, getting ahead of pole-sitter Stoner through the opening turns and relegating the Australian rider to third-place. The Yamaha ace led for a period, but Pedrosa made an early move to the front and Stoner was quick to follow, getting into second not long after. Pedrosa had a slow low-side and was able to remount but damage to the bike forced him back to the pits and he was unable to continue in the competition.

"It's a sad feeling more than disappointment; I pushed as hard as I could; I did what I had to do and I have no regrets for my riding, especially this season,” said Pedrosa. “I feel very proud of my team and of my performance throughout the year. Concerning the crash, it was nothing strange; I just went wider on the corner, I had some chatter and lost the front; maybe the tire was not warm enough as well, but it's like it is.”

This is Lorenzo’s second premier class title, making him the first Spaniard to ever become a double title winner. He’s had a remarkably consistent season, finishing either first or second in every race apart from the Assen TT. “What a day! I’m very happy, it was easier than I expected because Dani made a mistake in a corner and crashed,” said Lorenzo. “I wanted to keep with Casey but he was so strong. Today all I had to do was finish the race and I have become World Champion for the second time. It’s such a sweet feeling! I want to thank all the team, Yamaha, my family, my friends, sponsors and fans who support me. Today is an amazing moment. We’ve been very patient, very concentrated and finally the World title arrives!”

Crutchlow battled with teammate Andrea Dovizioso, LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl and San Carlo Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista early in the race for position, but on Lap 8 the British rider made his move into podium position and began to build a gap. He finished almost nine seconds ahead of Dovi, who made a late race push past Bradl and Bautista to finish fourth.

“I am really happy with this result because it is a great way to finish this period of three races in a row,” said Crutchlow. “After the disappointment of running out of fuel while battling for the podium on the last lap in Japan and then crashing in Sepang, I really needed a positive result here and that's what we've got. Considering how ill I've felt with the fever and bronchitis, to be back on the podium is a fantastic feeling and we definitely deserved it.”

Bautista finished the day in fifth, just a fraction of a second behind Dovi and he was followed by Bradl in sixth. Ducati’s Valentino Rossi took seventh and his teammate Nicky Hayden finished in eighth. Cardion AB Motoracing’s Karel Abraham took ninth and Power Electronics Aspar’s Aleix Espargaro led the CRT field in 10th.

In response to Lorenzo's title win, Yamaha Racing managing dirctor Lin Jarvis offered his congratulations.

I congratulate Jorge on his second MotoGP World Championship title with Yamaha.," said Jarvis. "He has been faultless all season. To be able to achieve 1st or 2nd in every race he finished is an extraordinary performance of a dedicated perfectionist and a true champion.

"To be able to produce these performances Jorge relies upon the support of a huge network of people. I would like to give my thanks and congratulations to the Yamaha Motor group, all Yamaha Factory Racing Team staff, our technical partners & suppliers, our sponsors, and also to Jorge’s personal staff. Without the efforts of all of these people this fantastic result would not have been possible.

"Having won the championship with one race to spare we go to Valencia to try to crown this already excellent season with a race victory in front of his home fans and to enjoy a much deserved celebration all together."

MotoGP Phillip Island Results 2012:

1. Casey Stoner (Honda)

2. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha)

3. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha)

4. Andrea Dovizioso (Yamaha)

5. Alvaro Bautista (Honda)

6. Stefan Bradl (Honda)

7. Valentino Rossi (Ducati)

8. Nicky Hayden (Ducati)

9. Karel Abraham (Ducati)

10. Aleix Espargaro (ART)

11. Randy de Puniet (ART)

12. Hector Barbera (Ducati)

13. Danilo Petrucci (Ioda-Suter)

14. Michele Pirro (FTR)

15. Ivan Silva (BQR)

MotoGP Championship Points 2012:

1. Jorge Lorenzo, 350

2. Dani Pedrosa, 307

3. Casey Stoner, 238

4. Andrea Dovizioso, 208

5. Alvaro Bautista, 165

6. Valentino Rossi, 157

7. Cal Crutchlow, 151

8. Stefan Bradl, 135

9. Nicky Hayden, 122

10. Ben Spies, 88

Powered by Blogger.