Moto2: Redding heads to Aragon fresh from surgery

Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Scott Redding will ride at this weekend's Aragon Moto2 Grand Prix fresh from undergoing arm pump surgery.

The 19-year-old Briton has been struggling with 'carpel tunnel syndrome' (arm pump) since the start of the season, but the condition has worsened considerably in recent weeks.

As a result, the Marc VDS rider felt he had no option but to undergo an operation on his right wrist immediately after the Misano race.

Redding is confident the surgery won't cause him any problems on the bike, but he's also well aware that with Aragon coming just two weeks into a four-week post operation recovery period, this weekend could be a painful one.

"I've had the carpel tunnel problem in my right wrist for a few years, but in the past it was manageable with therapy,” explained Redding.

“This season the therapy hasn't worked and in a few races my right hand has gone completely numb and I couldn't feel how much pressure I was applying to the front brake - not good when you need to be braking on the limit at every corner.

“That's why I decided to get the operation done now, rather than waiting until the end of the season. It means I won't be fully recovered for this weekend, but I'll be back to full fitness in Japan, ready for the last four races of the season.

“The wrist won't be a problem on the bike at Aragon, although it will probably be a bit sore, but then I have my championship position to defend from my team-mate and adrenaline is the best painkiller!"

Redding is fifth in the championship, just five points ahead of team-mate Mika Kallio. Both have claimed a best race finish of second so far this season.

Powered by Blogger.