Island feat 'may be step too far' for Stoner

Thursday, September 20, 2012
MotoGP superstar Casey Stoner has talked down his chances of a six-in-a-row coup at his home round at Phillip Island in Australia next month.

The Repsol Honda rider, recuperating following an operation on his right ankle, revealed he hopes to be back on the factory RC213V at Motegi in Japan on October 14 before competing at Sepang in Malaysia (October 21) prior to the Australian MotoGP at the end of October.

Stoner, who suffered the injury following a crash at Indianapolis last month, would love to bring the curtain down on his short but illustrious career with a sixth successive triumph at Phillip Island before retiring at the end of the season.

However, the 26-year-old-old feels the fairy tale ending his fans crave could be beyond even his reach at the penultimate round of the championship on October 28.

“I think it's going to be tough to make it six in a row, but we'll definitely be there, even if they have to duck-tape me to the bike,” Stoner told Australian TV broadcaster Channel Seven.

“I'll definitely be lining up for that one. I'm hoping to get back for a couple before that, but we'll se how things go and cross the fingers we can be back there.”

Stoner also revealed that he is seeking a switch to the V8 Supercar Championship, enthusiastically declaring his ambition to try his hand at car racing.

“I'm hoping to; it's been a long time dream of mine,” was Stoner's response after he was asked if he would contest the series in the near future.

“Just recently I've shown more interest. It's been around since I've been 12 or 14 years old. I've had a huge passion for V8s.

“I have to be realistic whether I'll be quick enough or not to be competitive, but it's something I'd like to give a go, and I'll definitely be around the paddock.”

On his shock decision to leave MotoGP at the conclusion of the 2012 championship in November, Stoner reiterated his position that his passion for motorcycling is on the wane.

“It's disappointing for me as well. We've put so many years of hard work in to get there, but for me it was the right time to leave,” he added.

“I'm losing a lot of passion for the sport at the moment, so for me it was important to get out while I still enjoy motorcycling and racing in general.”

Stoner was replaced in the Repsol Honda team by Northern Irishman Jonathan Rea for last Sunday's round at Misano, with Rea also set to contest the next round at Aragon at the end of September before Stoner's return from injury.

Powered by Blogger.